Monday, May 26, 2008

Don't Get in a Hurry!

Being a goal-oriented kind of gal, I like to skip over the details and get to the good stuff when I'm writing. I've talked about this manifesting by telling vs showing and other problems. Another way this comes out is by skipping ahead.

If I have Leslie eating breakfast, and then she goes to the barn, I'll talk about breakfast and then suddenly she's on the way to the barn. In other words, I missed getting her into the car. In my mind, I'm skipping unneeded details. For the reader, though, this can be confusing, disruptive, and/or choppy. Although I don't need to have her walk out to the car, open the door, get in, and put on her seat belt, I do need to make some sort of transition. For example, her father can say it's time to go and they go. It only needs to be a sentence or two to smooth it out.

The closer I get to the end of the book or story, the more likely I am to get in a hurry and rush. I can see the goalpost in the distance, and I want to sprint to get there! It's hard to slow down and and get in all the necessary details!

No comments: