Saturday, November 28, 2009

NaNo final stretch!

There are only 2.5 days left of NaNoWriMo 2009! At this point, you should have 46,676 words (by the time you go to bed tonight, that is). I am currently at 37k, so I am "only" 9,000 words behind! I want to get to 43k tonight. Remember, no matter how far behind you are, if you can invest some time over the next couple of days, you can still win! If you can't write quite that fast, that doesn't mean you shouldn't try. Even if you only get to 25k, that's a great start!

Here are some final-days-of-NaNoWriMo tips for success:

1. Coffee. The good stuff.
2. Enlist a couple of family members to cheer you on and bring you drinks and snacks.
3. Wear something comfortable. I like pj's.
4. Word sprints! NaNo top banana Chris Baty is running word sprints at http://twitter.com/NaNoWordSprints. I don't know where he's at right now, but last night he was behind even me. A word sprint is a period of time, say 15 or 30 minutes, where all you do is write as fast as you can. Don't allow yourself ANY distractions! No getting up, no surfing the internet, just write. Last night I got 1,455 words in one 30-minute sprint!
5. Give yourself milestones to shoot for. I like to go for round numbers, so before I allow myself to get up and go to the bathroom, or check facebook or whatever, I make myself get to the next round hundred or some other goal. Usually, I'm in the middle of a sentence or thought when I reach that point, so I ended up overshooting. Then, I often decide to do "just a little more" until I get to the next round hundred, and so on. I often get quite a bit done this way.

Anyone else have tips for success to share?

No comments: