Thursday, April 3, 2008

Where do you want to be when you die?

I heard some very sad news today. A man at my company, who works in another department, died of a heart attack at work yesterday. Apparently he said, "oh no," then fell to the floor and was gone. I didn't know him personally, but he was supposedly a very nice man and a good worker. I also hear he doted on his wife. I believe he was somewhere in his 50's.

This got me to thinking. I find it very sad to die at work...especially at a job like answering phone calls or processing transactions at a mutual fund company. If I died riding my horse or writing a novel, I think I'd look down from Heaven and be satisfied...but what if I died today? I like my job well enough, but it's not one I'd want to do for the rest of my life. Jai's death yesterday reminded me to keep pushing on to work toward my goal of writing full time, so I can get a chance to enjoy my life before it's over.

Farewell, Jai. I don't know where your next journey leads, but I hope your soul is happy there.

2 comments:

Michelle L. Devon said...

I want to die peacefully in my sleep while dreaming a great dream after having had fantastic sex, at least 40 years plus from now...

Love and stuff,
Michy

Jennifer Walker said...

Somehow, Michy, I think that's exactly what will happen to you!